Skip to main content

Can i receive unemployment

Vero Beach, FL |

My employer asked me if there was something wrong with me becasue they said that i was not performing as i usually do. I told them no. Later in the day he told me to leave and not return without a release from my doctor stating no restrictions. This is the second time they have done this to me. They no that I have a chronic illness that does not affect my job, but when they feel like harassing me they tell me i cant return to work without a release from doctor. And to make matters worse, it costs me money every time this happens, also I dont like to go to doctor due to beliefs. If i quit because I feel like I am being harassed what are the chances I would be able to receive unemployment? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am a California lawyer, not licensed to practice in Florida. In general, quitting a job makes it very difficult to obtain unemployment. You would need to consult with your state agency to learn the standards and have a case for quitting that is well-documented. Proof is usually the key in any employment case.

You should consult a local lawyer about disability rights in the workplace.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.


Either use the AVVO find a lawyer tool, or call the Florida Bar for a lawyer that specializes in employment law (I do not). You may have an ADA claim.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


Quitting your job is risky. Before you act, you should speak with a local employment lawyer about what you might expect if you did try to apply for unemployment benefits. You should also speak with the attorney about the possibility of filing a complaint of discrimination against your employer. You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

Good luck.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer