Skip to main content

Can I receive child support from my dad I am 18 still in school and live on my own? This is in Chicago, IL.

Chicago, IL |

Hi, my name is Jackie and I am 18 years old. I just turned 18 February 24. Me and my girlfriend have a 1 1/2 year old baby girl. We have lived together since September 2010 (that's roughly 6 months) When I was 16 my mom pulled me out of high school and didn't put me back in. I have been taking GED classes because when I moved out she wouldn't give me my birth certificate so I couldnt put myself in regular school. My mom received 380 dollars a month in child support from my dad even though I haven't been living with her. When I first turned 18 I went to see if I can get the child support put in my name since I am still in school. They gave me a court date for the end of this month and when I called my father to inform him he didn't have a problem with continuing the child support while I'm in school. My question is will I be legally able to receive this child support?

I am in the process of putting myself in an alternative high school.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Generally the support payments are supposed to be sent to your mother or guardian for the purposes of raising you. I have yet to hear of a case where the court allowed the NCP to pay the child directly, since the mother will need to be given notice of any support proceedings as well.


Support paymnets typically terminate automatically upon the child turning 18. Your father can voluntarily contribute to your education, and you can include that in a court order if he agrees.