Skip to main content

Can I re-open my divorce case? I cant afford a lawyer.

Des Moines, IA |

Divorced in 2008. House was linked ul with the businesses. Signed a quit claim. 401k was cashed for the first business with his persistence. Been to court 3 times and mediation twice. Heys has not complied with any of the decree. He was held in contempt once. I took less from the business buy out so my kids college would be paid for. Hes not paying my daughters loan. The house was to be sold and has not. He has been married three years now. My sons child support will be done next year. The money from the buy-out ended today. My name is still on the bank loans so I cant move on. I am a single 48-hear old mother. My son wants to live here during college but I cant afford it. I have spent thousands on lawyer fees over the past five years. I don't know what to do. If somebody could help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You might try contacting Iowa Legal Aid. Their website is:

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.


You should be able to take your ex husband back to court to enforce the divorce decree if he's not in compliance. I would recommend you contact several attorneys to see who may be willing to do your case for little or no cost. If your ex is found in contempt, you may be able to recover your attorney's fees.