Skip to main content

Can I re-enlist into the united states military?

Cincinnati, OH |

In 2007 I went Awol from military service. I turned myself in approximately 24+ days later and recieved a Other than Honorable discharge from service. I would like to re-enlist and serve in the united states army. What is the process i need to follow to re-enlist?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need one of several things.
1. A waiver. That is unlikely. The Army is downsizing, therefore the likelihood of waivers for prior misconduct is close to zero. However, you can talk with the recruiter and see if it will work. To do that find a recruiting station that is in a rural area and go at the end of the month. They have a smaller pool from which to make quota and waivers are best obtained toward the end of the month if the recruiters are short of quota.
2. You need to upgrade and change your OTH and RE code. Both of which might be difficult. You might have a shot at an upgrade to a General discharge, but that will still need a waiver.


Concur with Attorney Cave. I would add that there is almost no chance of your being able to re-enlist--even if you were able to upgrade the characterization of your discharge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer