Skip to main content

Can I re-apply for OPT STEM extension?

Jersey City, NJ |

I graduated with a Masters in Computer Science in the USA in May 2010. I applied for post-completion OPT, started working on a full-time job since April 2010. Before my post-completion OPT expired, I applied for an OPT STEM extension, but while the application was pending, I decided to come back to India, and mailed USCIS about cancelling my application. Now, I wish to come back and work in the USA. Can I re-apply for extended OPT? I work in a company in India whose headquarters are in the US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It does not look possible.

Meet with an attorney to explore alternatives.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I does not appear likely that you can reenter on an extended OPT. Contact an experienced immigration attorney to explore ways to come back.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


Not likely. You have to be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree. You should consult an immigration attorney to discuss your situation in greater detail and inquire as to your options.

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.