Can I press legal charges on someone who told me they would come to NY and pay be back I sent him 2000 us dollars

White Plains, NY |

I have sent him 50 dollars every Monday and Thursday for the past 9 months
I have rented him two rental cars for him to come see me!
first time there was a tornado that hit through Ohio. and the second time is he is suppose to come to NY on August 31,2013:
He has changed his number and he has removed me from Skype. Is there anyway to get him back for grand theft

no. sounds like a gift or a loan. If it's a loan, you can sue him in small claims.

It is very doubtful that you could have someone prosecuted for money that you have stated was a loan. It is possible that you might be able to sue them in small claims court to recover the money depending on the proof you have available. You are certainly free to discuss the matter with law enforcement officials but an arrest is probably unlikely. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

You have not indicated that the money you sent him was a loan or just because you like him and thought you had a relationship of some sort. You appear to have been scammed. You can make out a police report but it is highly unlikely that anything will happen to him as a result of this. You learned a lesson and will be leery in the future of sending someone money.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

It is not clear from your question why you sent the person this money but it does not sound like a criminal case. At most it sounds like a civil matter.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I assume you mean criminal charges, and the answer is not unless there was some sort of crime such as fraud. Even if it was a "loan" which he is ignoring, that is at best a civil suit. However, it does not sound as if you made provision for enforceability of a loan. Consult a local attorney to see what your legal recourses are.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Your question lacks sufficient facts to provide a proper answer or to determine if you were defrauded. There is no indication from your question as to why money was sent in the first place.