Skip to main content

Can i press charging against another tenant as well as the landlord for harrassment?

Lindenhurst, NY |

the upstairs tenant has been harrassing me and my kids on daily basis. she has placed oven cleaner soak on sock and attached it to a fan and placed it outside my door so the fumes go in my apartment. i have taken pictures as well as the police have been called and witnessed this and the police have done nothing. the landlord is aware and he is doing nothing, my family have to suffer everyday through this what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Dear Lindenhurst Tenant:

You have exercised the two best approaches for dealing with the noxious neighbor, and not surprisingly the landlord will not stand up for your tenancy rights, and strangely the police failed to act in the face of what may be a serious crime.

With your two best and least expensive approaches down, you have to resort to using a lawyer. You and your lawyer will review options including suing the landlord, the tenant or both. Your lawyer may know how to elicit a better response from the police or may go to the State Police.

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.


You can press harassment charges against the other tenant. You can sue the landlord in court for failure to provide a safe and sound apartment.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


It seems it's time to hire an attorney. A properly worded letter from an attorney might ellicit a better response. If not you will need to bring suit against the landlord and the tenant.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


Time to hire a lawyer. Hire someone experienced in landlord and tenant matters, as well as light criminal cases. You may possibly find yourself becoming the complaining witness in a harassment 2nd case in district court. Find an attorney, by way of this site, other sites or Google "long island landlord tenant" or the like ... best of luck.