Can i press charges on my ex boyfriend for rape if it happen about 6 months ago?

New York, NY |

I went out drinking with my baby daddy ( boyfriend at the time ) and his friends. I drank a bit to much and passed out. He took me to his home in a cab. when i woke up the next morning, he told me he had intercourse with me while i was sleeping. I did not recall any of it. I did nothing at the time because i was shocked, scared, hurt, and he was abusive at that time. Now that i have gotten out of that abusive relationship, i would like to press charges against him. Do i have a good chance at putting him behind bars or can i make any difference at all?

Yes you can press charges by making a report with the police, no way to tell if it will be a prosecutable case, but definitely make a report. At least to spare the next woman torment.

You can always make a report. However, the case is not very strong. The delayed report along with the lack of evidence (rape kit, you being able to testify first hand that it happened) makes it unlikely that he would be convicted. This is an honest answer based on my experience as a prosecutor and a defense lawyer.

Go to the police station that covers the area where it happened.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Yes you may file a complaint with the precinct where the incident occurred as the statute of limitations on a rape case is at least five years. No one can state with certainty whether the police will make an arrest in a case with a 6 month delay in reporting and where it sounds like your only proof is a statement made by your ex but it's a pretty weak case in terms of evidence for a jury.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. You may contact me directly for a free private consultation if you desire.

Richard C. Southard

Richard C. Southard

since it was an abusive relationship there might be other crimes he can be charged with as well from other incidents.

Yes, you may report the rape as the statute of limitations has not run.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.