Skip to main content

Can I press charges against my wife?

Macon, GA |

hi I currently reside in Georgia. Recently I deployed to Afghanistan and while I was checking my account I notice money missing. I called my bank to see where it was going it turns out my wife had hacked my personal account and was making unauthorized transfers to another account she had setup. I called my bank and after investigating they said that she had indeed committed checking account takeover along with some other suspicious activity on my account. My bank decided to launch an investigation and they told me that in order to get my funds back and to avoid other trouble from what she was doing they said I would have to file a police report against her. When I went to the police station they said that legally she had a right to my account whether or not her name was on it even if she did hack it. I was just wondering if it was some way around the matter because I really do not want to lose my career over something my wife did

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If a crime was committed, it was your wife violating electronic privacy statutes and stealing money from you. While you did not authorize her to do these things, you have the power to ratify or approve of the conduct now that you know about it. Most people don't file criminal charges against their spouse and then maintain the relationship. You haven't stated anything here that should end your military career. Rather than discussing any facts further here you should discuss the matter with your wife, perhaps a criminal defense attorney.

You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that a tenant may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.


If you question is can you report your wife to the police or "press charges" the answer is yes. Not sure what you mean by "some way around the matter." If there was a crime committed and you wish to report the person who committed to the police you are certainly able to do that.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.


Not sure why your career is implicated...your options appear to be (1) file a police report (2) sue your wife (3) ask wife for money back (4) do nothing.

BTW, donuts to dollars the bank will NOT involve itself beyond telling you handle it
yourself. Their investigation was focused on identifying how best to protect the bank, not you.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave


You would not lose your career over this. However, if her actions caused checks to bounce, then yes it's possible the command may become involved in some fashion if the persons you wrote checks to complain. However, assuming the truth of your wife's actions, then you would likely have a defense under military law to a bad check allegation under the UCMJ.