Skip to main content

Can i press charges against a persons for battery and threatening me?

Salinas, CA |

I was taking pictures where i live of cars that are parking in the "no parking' zone, it is only for visitors and not residents and my neighbor woman came over and to my camera out off my hand forcefully and then her son-in-law threaten me if I took another picture, all this time i was in my property when they did this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A police report should be filed.

The persons could be liable for:
1. Terroristic threats
2. Malicious damage to property if the camera was harmed
3. Trespass

You may also sue civilly. However, if they do press charges, you can ask for restitution for any damage caused (if their guilt is determined).

Its not really a civil rights question unless you are threatened by the state.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.


It depends on the nature of the threat.It has to be a true threat for you to press criminal charges.You may still have a civil course of action. As to Battery it depends on what actually transpired to determine if it is a Civil or Criminal Battery.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer