Skip to main content

Can i postpone my i751 interview because my husband need a divorce and reflie on my own

Poughkeepsie, NY |

r can i get a new date on go on my own to the interview alone ofter the divorce

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Immigration
Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

I agree with my colleagues. It is best to attend the interview. But you should also consult an attorney to help you with the preparation of a waiver,


The facts you present would not be a sound basis for a postponement being granted. If your husband does not appear with you your application will be denied.

In any case more information is needed about your situation. Do consult an experienced immigration attorney who can assess the facts of your case and advise you accordingly.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


You can try, but you must be ready to proceed if USCIS rejects your request.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you have grounds to refile on your own, you should, otherwise talk to a local attorney.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


A proper answer would be far more complicated than is proper in this forum. See a lawyer.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Consult an immigration. This is too time-sensitive and too important to skip a consultation.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: