Skip to main content

Can I post a song on itunes of another artist along as I mention them in the credits ?

Bayonne, NJ |

Please help me

I am gonna sing it and add change the lyrics. The original song is in korean

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not lawfully. Moreover, by crediting the original artist you're admitting that your version derives from the origainal artist's version. Unless you have permission, you may not lawfully publish your version of the song. Although the original artist [or his record label or music publishing company] may never find out, that does not justify your infringement.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.


No, you are likely confused by the use of attribution in Creative Commons which may, in certain instances, be all that is required. But for musical compositions, CC is seldom applicable, and, As noted by attorney Ballard, attribution, and this situation is probably harmful not helpful. Any of us can help you for a reasonable attorney's fee.

The name Bayonne, New Jersey brings back memories. I remember sailing from there on the Stevens Tech sailboat racing team over 40 years ago. It was an ugly oily harbor. I hope it is cleaner now.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick


Gangnam Style and Psy, right?


My colleagues are right, admitting whose property you want to use just confesses that your use is a willful infringement, and you probably think "artist" and "them" means the performer, not the songwriter and their publisher and they're record label. It's those latter entities that you need a license to do this from --the performer has no say in the matter, although they may also be the songwriter.

See a mucis lawyer for help.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer