Skip to main content

Can I petition the courts for my inheritance since the conservatorship has ended?

Ceres, CA |

Hi. I'm in CA. My brothers were conservators of my mom's estate because she had Alzheimers. One brother passed first and my mom passed last year, July 2008. The 2nd & final accounting of the conservatorship was on May 12, 2009 but I still haven't received my inheritance. I should be 1/3 owner of two houses, receive a small amount of cash and also 1/3 of the income from the rental of both homes. I have been talking to my brother for the last 2 months and we cannot agree on anything. My name has not been put on either title and I have received no money. I am unemployed and can use the money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


YOu need to contact an attorney in the county where the estate/conservatorship was established; pull the case file; and if necessar take your brother to task. Oftentimes what we find is that one party is receiving all the rent, etc. and failing to/ and not wanting to, include the other partial owners. If there is wrongdoing the court will possibly assess any fees and costs your incur against your brother. Good luck.

Mr. Post is licensed to practice law in KS and MO. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply unsuitable. Mr. Post strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.