Skip to main content

Can I petition for my mom before my citizenship is granted?

Naples, FL |

I sent in my N400 application last week I havent got a receipt or anything yet i applied 3 months early, can i start filing for my mother now will my citizenship application is pending,,,it takes a while to file for my mom and get her greencard interview anyways and i'll probably be a citizen by the time her interview takes place so can i start filing for her now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. You must be sworn in at a ceremony that follows your examination and approval. Otherwise, you will forfeit the filing fees and your mother may end up before an immigration court for deportation. Patience is important, when a person has no legal rights to a green card. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Absolutely not.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


No, you must wait until you become a US citizen to petition her.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer