Skip to main content

Can I petition for my mom?

Dallas, TX |

I am a citizen and just turned 21. My mom tried to enter illegal in 2007 without any visa and got caught at the border and they fingerprint her so she went back. No I want to petition to her, will she be able to come?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can file a petition for her and provided you are able to document the relationship, the I-130 should be approved. Her stop at the border in 2007 may be problematic. If she used fake documents to try to enter, she will need a waiver for the misrepresentation. She can only qualify for the waiver if she has legal permanent resident or US citizen parents or spouse. If she did not use fake documents, she may still need a waiver if she was expeditiously removed. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney. One last, point to consider is when she left the United States. This may cause yet another problem. Good luck.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes, you can petition her. However, due to her immigration history, you really need to do this with an experienced immigration attorney.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You can sponsor your mom. She will need to file a waiver for herillegal entry


Yes you may apply for her. However, she will need a waiver. It is best to consult with and hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist in this process.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.