Skip to main content

Can I petition for my cousin to visit or become a US permanent resident?

Ithaca, NY |

My understanding is that I can't put in a petition for my cousin to become US resident or help in any way for him to get tourist visa to come to the US. Is that correct or is there a way this can be done?

Thanks for your help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot submit a petition for a cousin to become a permanent resident. However, you can provide an affidavit of support to help him in obtaining a visitors visa.

For more information, please see


You cannot petition for your cousin to become a US resident but you can invite him to visit you.



You must be an "immediate relative" to petition for a relative to become a permanent U.S. resident and that does not include the category of cousin. You can assist on his visa application, though.

God bless you and good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer