Skip to main content

Can I pay my ticket for an under an ounce of marijuana citation or will have to go to court?

Woodstock, GA |
Attorney answers 3


I seriously doubt you could dispose of that charge without a court appearance.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.


Yes, by paying your ticket, you don't get a trial. Moreover, a conviction for marijuana possession will result in suspension of your license. There are several ways to avoid suspension. You need to retain counsel to work this case out for you so that you do not lose your license.

Allen R. Knox
"Former Cobb, Bartow and Paulding County Prosecutor"
125 Townpark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399


You most likely cannot pay this citation without having to go to court. Even if you could it would not be a good idea because if you plead guilty, or are convicted, of this charge it will suspend your driver's license for 6 months, and this is a hard suspension meaning there is no limited permit for work. Usually, there are ways of avoiding a marijuana conviction, not having your license suspended, and clearing your record so I would not recommend simply pleading guilty to this charge. Also, in many instances there are lots of defenses to this charge which may be used to get the charge dismissed.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer