Skip to main content

Can I obtain a physician assistant license in California if I had a DUI conviction (gross misdemeanor) in Washington state?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was convicted of a DUI (.014 BAC) in Washinton state in 2004 and want to return to school to obtain my Physician Assistant license.

I understand WA state does not allow expungements of DUI convictions. Is there anything I can do and will I be allowed to sit for the PA exam in CA?

Thank you Jon, for your response. I have done as suggested and have one more question. I read that a DUI is considered a "crime of substantial realtionship." in regards to a PA license. I would like to know where I can find additional information on the "rehabilitation" which may be necessary, particularly if the DUI occurred in another state. I see this term mentioned in several places, but am unclear as to what this program is, if it in fact is a program.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Very good question. I have had several clients who are physicians and others who were physician assistants. A first time DUI has led to some degree of probation and/or rehabilitation, but in the case of a new applicant I'm not sure of the answer of allowing you to sit for the exam. Check out the website at: and go to the frequently asked questions for assistance. Also, download and read the Manual of Disciplinary Guidelines on the left tabs to the link I gave here. If you can't find the answer, call the committee and ask the question straight up for a direct answer.