Skip to main content

Can I obtain a copy of my original birth certificate?

Odenville, AL |

I want it to use as a tool to help find my mother that I haven't seen in 28 years.My current birth certificate was amended.Her info removed,my fathers info added and my name changed.It was not an adoption.I've been told that I cant get it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Usually, when a court finalized an adoption, the record is sealed and agencies are ordered not to disclose the original parent. In fact, in Kentucky, I had a client whose address changed in the middle of the adoption case several years earlier, and he never updated the court with his new address. He never found out what happened. The clerks were following correct procedure by not disclosing any information about the case to him without a judicial order. The idea is to protect confidences for all parties.

If you have any hope of getting these types of records unsealed, you will probably need a lawyer.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer