Skip to main content

Can i move to texas before getting sued?

Little Rock, AR |

I involved into accident which was my fault and i did not had any auto insurance. The other party got severe injuries and I had only SLP coverage for the other driver which covers some of his medical cost about 1,00,000$. but still am afraid of getting sued by him and may lead to wage garnishment because i do not have any personal assets. Can i move to texas before wages are getting garnished or sued.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Are you really asking a bunch of attorneys whether you can go hide out in another state to avoid a lawsuit?

I don't think any of us will answer that with a "yes."

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


You can move wherever you want and still be served with a lawsuit. It might be a little more complicated, but it will happen.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.


I wouldn't.


Yes, but notify your insurance company

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Put yourself in his shoes, and do what is right


If you were driving in Arkansas and caused an accident, the injured party can still bring a lawsuit, in Arkansas, against you regardless of whether or not you have moved prior to the filing of the suit.

Then, if that party obtains a judgment against you, they can register the judgment in Texas or whatever other state you have moved to and enforce the judgment against you there.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.


You can move wherever you want. The lawsuit will follow you there. If you are asking whether you can avoid wage garnishment if you move to a state that does not permit wage garnishment to collect on a personal injury judgment, that's an interesting question. If you have no reason to move out of Texas but to avoid a garnishment, then you "may" have trouble with that.
If you are responsible for causing someone harm, why do you not want to take responsibility for what you did? Where did you grow up?

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer