Skip to main content

Can I move to a different state on an informal probation

Newport Beach, CA |

I already served 60 days in county jail and now I'm on a 3 year informal probation for a criminal misdemeanor

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you can move to another state on informal probation.


As long as you don't have additional requirements (ie. an alcohol or anger management program) to fulfill in California as part of your informal probation, YES, you can move to a different state.


Yes, you can move to another state. Just make sure you stay in compliance with all other terms of your probation, such as making your monthly payments on your fines etc.

Good luck,

Kim W. Hansen

The information provided is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this answer should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


As long as you give the Clerk your new address and do not have any other terms of probation that you must do in CA, you may move. However, if you have a CA class or community service or any other term, the court must grant you permission to do those in another state. If you owe a fine, you may send that in from anywhere.