Skip to main content

Can I move out of the country while on probation?

Pompano Beach, FL |

I'm on probation and I need to move out of the house I'm currently residing. I have no where else to live other than in the UK with my aunt. I would like to know what would be the proper steps in moving to London. Do i need a Lawyer? I'm planning on moving there for good.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can not move during probation without receiving permission from your probation officer. If the conditions of your probation state that you are to pay fines or restitution, complete classes or serve community service, then you must complete these tasks before you can consider the option of moving.

Once you complete all of the conditions of your probation, you can speak to your probation officer about your move. You will need to tell him where you are moving and why you are moving. Because you are moving out of the country, you will likely not be allowed to move. Typically, you will only be allowed to move if you are simply moving to another state. This is because they can transfer your probation to that state so that you can serve the entirety of your probation. They won't be able to transfer your probation to a different country, so you will likely not be allowed to move.


If you'd like to get more answers, please post your question in a criminal law topic. "Probate" has to do with the estates of those who have died. I can see why you would think it would relate to "probation" but it is not related.

Please note that nothing herein is or may be relied on as legal advice. Each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Best wishes for a just and speedy resolution.


I agree with attorney Murphy. Probate has to do with dead people's estates and who gets what, not probation.