Skip to main content

Can I move out legally

Plano, TX |

Hi my name is sarah and I am 16 and will b 17 in 2 months I currently live in hobbs new Mexico and am being forced to move to little elm Texas ....this will b my 4th high-school and if I tag along it won't b my last I still have 2 years left ...I am un happy with moving and just got happy were I am I really want to stay and I have a place I can go mom is letting me stay behind for part of the summer so is it legal for me not to go ....because by the time I did I would b 17 ....plz help I'm very conserned and I love it here I want to b able to finish out high-school here without the hasle of always moving and or getting evectid ect .

Thank you so much
And godbless

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As a minor, you are under the control of your parents until you turn 18. You are obligated to abide by their rules and live where they say to live.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


Since you are living in New Mexico, you really need to ask a New Mexico lawyer about this. Might want to re-ask in the New Mexico section of avvo.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer