Can i move out at the age of 18 in the state of Mississippi without my parents trying to hold me back?

Magee, MS |

I am 18 years old, and i graduate in a couple of weeks, and i want to move in with my boyfriend (who is 21 and stays in Georgia) after graduation, people keep telling me that 21 is the legal age to move out of my parents home, but then again i was told it was 18...i am confused?? but besides that can my parents force me to stay or can i do what i want by being 18...i need help

You are considered a minor in Mississippi until the age of 21, however, at your age there is not much your parents can do to keep you home. Just remember, if you go, they don't have to let you come back.

This reply is provided for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

Thankyou so much, that is exactly what i wanted to know. But i do have one question....by me being a minor does that mean i am not fully an adult until the age of 21? but at 18 i still have the ability to move out if i wanted without anyones say so?

Mary Elizabeth Milek

Mary Elizabeth Milek

The answer is both yes and no; it just depends on the situation. You still can’t legally drink alcohol until you are 21. You also can’t get married without parental consent (ages vary by state) until you are 21 in Mississippi. If you commit a crime, don’t think you are headed to Youth Court, because you will not be. As far as moving out, short of having you declared mentally incompetent or a danger to yourself by the Court, I don’t see how your parents could stop you. I do hope that you consider this choice carefully. I know this can sound like a great plan, but it could turn into a nightmare. Being an adult means taking on a lot of responsibility and it’s not easy out there. Also, this is a tough economy. You will need more than a high school education to get a job to fully support yourself. If you move in with this boyfriend, you could find yourself totally dependent upon him. He could turn out to be an abusive person. It’s hard to really know someone until you have lived with them. Consider all your options and make sure you have a safety plan in case plan A does not work out.

The age of emancipation is 21, but you need to consider all the issues you'll need to take care of in order to survive on your own. Things like, a job, a car, food, shelter, bills, etc. Good Luck.

The state of Mississippi does not certify lawyers in any specific category of law and the decision to hire an attorney should be taken only after careful consideration. Jeff Padgett's profile and any answers to questions given is strictly for the purpose of advertising his services.

Thankyou for your help, i really appreciate it.