Skip to main content

Can I move out at the age of 17 in New York?

Lake Ronkonkoma, NY |

I am currently living with both my parents. I'm in my last year of high school and am working two jobs. My house is very unstable and is causing a lot of stress on me. My boyfriends mother is willing to take me in but I know if I were to leave my mom would call the cops on me. At the age of 17 in NY can I be forced to return home? Even if the house is not a good environment for me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes, it is possible for you to become emancipated, which distinguishes your parent's responsibility for you entirely and forever. This may not be a good idea, but, here is a link to some information and resources that may be helpful to you: Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to contact her directly for a legal consultation, you may do so by calling 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer