Can I move my future pension back to Ireland?

San Antonio, TX |

I am originally from Ireland, I moved to the U.S. In 1994 so I have been here for twenty years. This is my question. After having worked all these years, am I entitled to a pension when I retire? Also, my family and I are looking to move back to Ireland in the coming years and with that in mind, will I be able to transfer my pension to Ireland? Thank you in advance.

Filed under: Social security

Pension questions would have to be directed to your employer. The US doesn't have a public pension. We have social security which you have to be a certain age to get. That question is best addressed to the social security office. There's one on Isom Rd. Just working for 20 years alone otherwise doesn't mean anything which is why financial planners encourage folks to save for retirement.

Thank you.

You may have social security benefits - talk to them about that. You may also have retirement accounts through your employer. You can usually roll those into a Fidelity or other brokerage account. Get lots of advice here and in Ireland so there are no tax surprises.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Thank you.