Skip to main content

Can I lose my social security benefits if found guilty of domestic violence

Ona, WV |

i have been reciving beifets since 2004 and was found incopmpetant i was i was confected of a misdomer in florida "domistic violence" i did 22 days in jail i got out and came home to wv now they r sayn i had 6 months of probation and there is a instate warent for me in flordia they took my check and said i cant get it back untill i satisfie the warent what do i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Social Security is not paying disability benefits to "fleeing felons". Basically, if there is any outstanding warrant against you, SSA assumes you are a fleeing felon. However, the charge may not have been a felony or you are not fleeing. The meaning of "fleeing" is being litigated. You will either need to fight with SSA over whether you are a fleeing felon or get the Florida officials to do something to make the warrant go away. Often, it is very hard to do this from a long way away.

Do you have a friend or relative in Florida who can go and find out about the warrant?

Good luck. You are among thousand of people who have lost their monthly disability check, most of whom probably are not "fleeing" felons.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer