Skip to main content

Can I lose custody b/c I was sexually assaulted as a child - 25+ years ago?

Houston, TX |

I was sexually assaulted as a child by a member of my extended family... 25+ years ago. I am in the middle of a custody battle where my ex is attempting to use this against me stating I have PTSD because of this assault .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The actual assault is not usable, but if it causes you to behave in abnormal ways, then they can use that. You should not be fighting this without an attorney. A good family law attorney can help you defend yourself and your children.


You really didn't post enough here to allow anyone to fully evaluate your situation. I suggest you speak to your attorney about your concerns--if you have one. If you don't, get one. Secondly, I suggest you get into treatment for PTSD, if you do have it. No one would fault you for trying to get better.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


I agree with Attorney Moore. This is a really, really complicated circumstance and without all the knowledge of how your ex is attempting to use it, we can't really make a judgment. Tell your attorney if you have one and if you don't, I'd strongly recommend you get one. This ruling can go either way, depending on the circumstances.