Can I legally stop my soon-to-be ex husband from emotionally, mentally, and financial abusing my children and me? It is extreme.

West Palm Beach, FL |

Tried for a GAL, social, etc. - denied. There's ongoing substantial and severe bullying. The abuse will not stop after dissolution. Are there any legal (civil/criminal) avenues of relief I can take post-divorce? Our kids have significant med/mental special needs, my ex has violated my privacy computer hacking and tracking my vehicle, etc. He sends his g/f's items home with the kids belongings, he tells the kids to keep secrets from me by saying 'if mommy knows I will get in trouble and you don't want to hurt me do you?' Our young kids cry to me bc they see him and his g/f engage in sexually inappropriate behavior repeatedly. Kids tell me things that happen by their dad that are mentally abusive, confusing, and hurtful to them and I cannot prove it bc ex denies it. I feel helpless.

Filed under: Representing yourself

Since there is an immediate need, please seek an attorney in your area who can provide you with some assistance on your children's abuse issues. You may also want to see if there are any agencies in your area, either state/county or non-profit, that provide assistance to abused women and children. Abuse is not limited to battered physically or sexually but emotionally as well (which you are, please do not deny this and hurt yourself.) They would be in a better position than an attorney answering on a forum to know what resources are available for you, knowing the local laws that can help you, and to point you perhaps to a trusted attorney. Please seek this assistance as soon as you can.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

Dear Mr. Seino - Thank you very much as I appreciate your prompt response and advice. I will contact a family law attorney in the area on Tuesday who I believe has experience in the area of abuse. Thank you again.

Reid A Seino

Reid A Seino

No problem. I hope for the best in your case.

Have you been representing yourself in the applications for GAL, social ect.? Psychological Abuse is one of the most difficult problems to deal with legally. Too many folks have cried wolf in order to gain an advantage, real or perceived. Many officials are sceptical of such claims for that reason. Also, information from the children presents difficult evidence and ethical questions. You will need a long term strategy and good counsel.

The above is for informational and educational purposes only, does not establish an attorney client relationship, and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. The only legal advice offered is to have this matter reviewed and discussed by a competent attorney of your own choice.

I have not represented myself as the pleadings were done via counsel. The Judge advised they do not believe in granting these types of evaluations as they would be the one to determine the need, not a third party. With that said, the motion was denied. Although I wish it were a different decision, I do not have a choice but to respect it and proceed accordingly. I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion as I believe that is the exact challenge I have faced. It is difficult to prove abuse when it is a child's word against an adult, especially when the adult is well-spoken when necessary and very wealthy. If the child is not visibly injured with hugely obvious bruises, broken bones, or bloodied then the end result is the child is heard though the case is considered closed due to lack of physical evidence. This is crushing for any parent to face. It is difficult, painful, and mentally draining on a regular basis and unfortunately the abusive behaviors are still constant. The judicial system does not recognize the special medical and mental needs of children well enough to be able to spot the huge red flags that the parent sees and must deal with daily. It is unfortunate on many levels as learning to accept the obvious 'slipping through the cracks' clashes with the parent's innate need to protect their child coupled with just plain common sense that what has happened is very wrong. As a parent of two young children who are suffering from mental and medical abuse (as my gut tells me it is just that), I struggle to reconcile that because it is a legal decision, it doesn't make it not morally wrong or bad. It just makes it not illegal, though it doesn't make it any better for the child. It makes it unfortunate and very, very sad too. (cont)

There should be a law against being a bad parent because too many children are paying the price for the gray areas of the law. Every fiber of my being is challenged when my children demonstrate or enact something a child should not know and should never see. One has to respect the law and the courts as this is the way it is, heartbreaking or not. However I am not ready to turn a blind eye on the many different painful incidents my children are suffering from while they ask me to explain why they are happening. I am limited on finances as I gave up my career to raise the children. I am overpowered, intimidated, humiliated, degraded and threatened on a regular basis. I can deal with the battle against me however I am broken into pieces over the pain my children have to needlessly endure. They suffer from different rare diseases and if that is not bad enough, they are manipulated into protecting their parent from me when the other parent is the one exposing them to the various inappropriate behaviors, comments, and sudden bouts of aggressions. I am at a loss as there is not an avenue of legal protection unless I have the $$$$ to fight. I don't want to fight anymore, I only want the abuse to stop. My family needs help. How do I get someone to help my family, all four of us, since legal posturing is not going to help the children. It will only prolong my family conflict and pain. My children need a third party to intervene and help everyone get better so the children can have both parents in their lives because that is essential to their happiness and recovery. My spouse asserted hipaa rights over our children's mental records and I could not get the psychologists records introduced. My spouse also stopped medical treatments because they were 'advised' to do so. That lapse in treatment caused a decline and damage to our child. I am beyond dumbfounded as to how this is acceptable? I feel defeated on every level though the worst is feeling helpless as a parent. I am not crying wolf though I understand how certain miserable people use the courts as a weapon. My actions throughout this process, plus the depositions of the physicians proves I am not crying wolf. How does a minority parent who is for all intents and purposes financially 'broke' and mentally broken, fight for their children's innocence, health, and wellbeing? Thank you for your time as I know I am long winded (just heart broken and tired). Sincerest Regards, A Mother's Love

Erskine Clark Rogers III

Erskine Clark Rogers III

You should always be careful about posting TMI on AVVO, or anyother cite. In the world of divorce everything you say will be taken out of context and used against you.

I did not realize that. I will remove it then. Thank you for letting me know.