Skip to main content

Can I legally leave Illinois at age 17 and go to Missouri if I have a place to stay? Even if my parents said no.

Marion, IL |

I was left in Missouri at age 16 . With staying with a friend and responsible adult , I turned 17 . And a month after that , my dad came and picked me up and took me back to Illinois . He just got custody of me though . Could I leave legally and go back to my friends house in Missouri if mi 17 since the age to live without your parents there is 17 .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It seems you asked this question in a different form not too long ago. No, you cannot leave Illinois or your father's care right now. You may leave when you turn 18. The age of emancipation in Illinois is 18 and you and your father are subject to Illinois law.


By rewording the question the answer does not change at all. The answer is NO.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


No. Only at age 18.

The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above, should not be considered legal advice. An initial attorney-client conference, based upon review of all relevant facts/documents, will be necessary to provide legal advice upon which the client should then rely.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer