Skip to main content

Can I legally go to school while living with my Uncle?

Saint Paul, MN |

Hello, I recently moved To Minnesota with my mother but I hate it. I'm 17 and I have gotten my mothers permission to move back down to North Carolina to live with my Uncle. Can I legally do this without being emancipated? I just want to live with him until I turn 18 which is in 7 months, but I don't want to be emancipated. How can I go about making him my legal guardian (if I have to), my mom is okay with me going so I don't see whi I would need to go to court. I also wear braces but I'm only able to pay for it because my mom is on disability because of her getting her hips replaced so I get Minnesota Medicaid, how can I continue my braces service if I move back down to NC with my uncle? Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hire an attorney to file a petition for temporary guardianship temporary isceasiervto get and will suit your needs. Have your ortho recommend a new one in your new state


No. Your uncle will have to petition for legal custody. Without it, he has no legal authority to enroll you in school or do anything else. He would also need it to apply for Medicaid in NC.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.