Skip to main content

Can I keep communication with my ex solely via email and or text.?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have continuously said verbally , via text , verbally , etc . . . to my ex to communicate with me in regards to our child age 10 , strictly via text message and or email . NO Phone calls unless its an extreme emergency ! ! ! Due to the fact that it is impossible to have a civil conversation with her , I rather it be sent to me via text message or email as I requested to her numerous times , which she persist on calling . I want all communication kept on record . Because all she does if I decide to pick up the call is badger , insult , degrade , and also begin to make insults about my finance . Which none of the above has to do with out daughter , Its personal . So is it possible , to get that in writing in a court order to keep the communication electronically & only keep them regarding our child

My ex is too much, she takes our child calling her to go home a bit earlier from our weekend visit to play with her other friends at home as if something is wrong and our child is being mistreated. Our child made the call to ask she is old enough to ask her Mother, and she did not accept that. She again, wanted to talk to me to ask why does she want to leave earlier, is she being mistreated? whats going on...and since I did not want to speak to her she is now keeping me from speaking to our child over the phone. Can I get a court order for electronic communications only, when I modify my visitations??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This statement is a bit confusing considering the type of arrangement that has been set by previous order allowing for flexibility between the parties. Normally, the agreement is what dictates if there are any disputes between the verbal agreement between the parties.

During situations where there is abusive language being used between the parents, it is common for the court to compel the parties to use third party software for communication purposes, such as family wizard. These matters are difficult to discuss due to the complexity of the matters involved. It would be wise to discuss with a family law attorney to best promote your interests.

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 909-860-0342. Thank you.


I regularly write orders for Our Family Wizard to be the main mode of communication except in emergencies. OFW also allows the court to review the conversation should it be necessary. For further information, visit

Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.

Avvo child custody email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about child custody law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer