Skip to main content

Can i join the navy even though i am an illegal alien and have been living here almost my whole life?

Albuquerque, NM |

i am 22 years old and i have been living here in the U.S. for 19 years.because of my legal status it is very difficult for me to get a job and acquire a license. i was wandering if i could join the us armed forces and maybe that way show my patriotism or prove that i would protect and serve for this land that i consider my country?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A non-citizen that is eligible to join the military must meet certain requirements:

(1) Have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551),
(2) Have a bona fide residence established, and
(3) Have established a record of the U.S. as their home.

Some non-citizens from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S. may also require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military. In order for an immigrant to join the United States military, they must first go through the immigration process of the USCIS (previously known as the INS) and then and then begin the enlisting process. Another requirement is that the Green Card and/or visa if the immigrant desiring to join the military must be valid for the entire period of their enlistment.


If you are here illegally you cannot join the military.

Talk to an immigration lawyer and see what your options are.