Skip to main content

Can i hyphenate my daughters last name without the bio fathers permission?

Atwater, CA |

i want to hyphenate both my daughters last names with my new last name. my oldest daughter tells me she wants the same last name as my husband and i. i know her bio wont give me permission because he likes to be complicated. so i know i have to go to the court, but do i need his permission?

+ Read More

Filed under: Family law
Attorney answers 1


No you do not need his permission. If this is a civil request then he will need to be advised. If this is a family law request the court will base it on the best interest of the child.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer