Can I have an adverse possession ruling reversed?

Bronx, NY |

I purchased a home in 2006. At the time of purchase the owner was sued by the neighbor claiming adverse possession on the driveway leading to the back of the house. The case was opened prior to me purchasing the house. Two years later in 2008 a judge granted the neighbor a ruling in her favor, allowing her to claim the driveway as her own. I would like to know if it is possible to have the ruling reversed or reopen the case with the fact that I purchased the home while the previous owner was being taken to court. I have a survey which was done on the house after I purchased it.

Doubtful.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Nope. So long as you were on notice that there was a claim pending on adverse possession, you are bound by the results. And you would (or should) have been aware, especially if you purchased title insurance, because the plaintiff in the litigation would almost certainly would have filed a "Notice of Pendancy" (a/k/a "lis pendens") which would be recorded in the County Clerk's office and would have shown up on your title search.

If you somehow "closed over" these issues, you may have a case, but only against the title company or your lawyer who reviewed the title if they totally missed the "lis pendens" or it wasn't filed, or maybe an action against your seller if there was no lis pendens and they knew of the adverse possession litigation and didn't tell you about it.

The survey is meaningless. That just shows what lines are on the ground from deeds and other maps. The very essence of adverse possession claims is that there is possession that results from occupancy or use for a specified period of time (more than ten years in New York State) that is DIFFERENT than what it says on the surveys and deeds (unless your survey shows the lines determined by the Court in the litigation, not the previous survey lines, and then you're just dealing with a boundary line dispute. But if your survey is just based on old deeds and maps, tough noogies, you lose).

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Look to your title report. If the adverse possession claim was listed as an exception to your policy then your title company will not litigate this matter for you. If they missed it, then you may have a claim against the title company. Consult a real estate attorney.

My direct line: 646-606-6002. www.thefalkowskifirm.com. If this answer is helpful and/or the best answer, then please indicate it as so. Thank you. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

True, *if* the adverse claimant filed a lis pendens and the title company somehow missed it and didn't put it on an exclusions schedule. I put a low probability on that. Or if no lis pendens was filed and seller was certainly aware of the litigation, perhaps an action against the seller for fraud? Title companies check the filed records with diligence, but the don't check litigation not a judgment or lis pendens filing...they are not mindreaders!