Skip to main content

Can I have a power of attorney checked out since my mother has died

Palm Beach, FL |

my my gave power of attorney to her ex , I would like to know if he has done everything on the up and up, he is getting nasty with me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


a power of attorney ceases upon death. If an estate has been opened, the personal representative would have power to check on some things, such as bank accounts, brokerage accounts, etc.. If an estate has not been opened, it should be opened if there are any assets. Good luck.


Sorry for your loss.

I am not really sure what you mean by "checked out". A Power of Attorney is only valid while a person is living. If you discover that your mother's ex acted improperly, you should meditatively contact an estate attorney to discuss your options.
Since your mother is deceased, the Power is no longer valid. Your mother's estate should go through Probate. I recommend contacting a local Probate attorney to assist you if you are named the Personal Representative.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Florida Attorney practicing in areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Trusts, Probate, Guardianship, and Business Law. The information provided is for educational purposes and not intended to provide legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship. Please contact me at or call my office, 727) 471-0039, should you like to discuss your Florida legal matter further. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.


The power of attorney was void upon death as explained in previous answers.
The best way to proceed would be to open an estate and the PR would have all the financial
records or could obtalin them for examination of wrong doing.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer