Skip to main content

Can I have a case reopen after 8 years. I was accused of a claim by an insurance company that I was not part off.

Boston, MA |

An insurance company accused me of an accident saying my car has being in and I was not involved in. I was not in the accident and my car was not even in an accident at all. According to the document, a court hearing was sent to me several time (even the name was not correct) and since I did not show up, by default the court said I was found at fault. The case was taken to another state where I was asked to pay a fee with a monthly payment. I was not give a chance to fight the case. I was told it was for a payment hearing. I have being making these payments after all these years and now I want to fight this case and I believe and understand that I have the right to prove my side. Can this case be reopen. Thanks and appreciate your help and support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Without seeing all of the documentation it is hard to answer your question. If you had insurance on the car at the time of the alleged collision, I would speak to your insurer. If not, then you can consult an attorney in the state where the alleged collision took place. They would be in the best position to advise you if you can now go back and fight the original judgement.


Talk to your insurance company for details and then consult a local lawyer. Good luck!1


In my view, you are out of luck. Even if as you say you did not know about the original action that resulted in a default judgment being taken against you, you admittedly did find out about it and in fact have been making payments but now, 8 years later, have a change of heart. Unfortunately, and as a generality, to set aside a default judgment, you have to show not only that you have a meritorious defense (as you say, that you were not involved in the claimed accident), but you also hae to convince the court that you have a justifiable excuse for not having answered both the original summons and complaint,but also the motion for default judgment you probably received. After 8 years, and you making payments, it is not likely that a court will excuse you from paying the judgment.


Tough one. Need to file motion to vacate judgment

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


It appears that you may have a tough time trying to vacate the default, but call one of the lawyers in your state who answered above to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Remember that the insurance company is not on your side. Having said that, it would be advisable to contact a Massachusetts attorney to discuss it. Our office will always take your call at 800-200-7752. It's just better to contact a personal injury attorney to know all the aspects of the case and there's no obligation, its just an exchange of information. But without knowing all aspects of the case its hard to say exactly what your recourse is. Thanks, Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer