Skip to main content

Can I go back to court to have alimony lower or removed?

New Haven, CT |

I just wanted to get out of the marriage. She had quit a bit of money in her account from her inheritance when her mother passed. I was under a lot of mental stress. Now I have to pay her $150 a week for 4 years. She makes more money an hour then I do. I work more hours so I make more. But she has no debit I have almost $20k.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Whether you can return to court to have alimony changed is entirely dependent on what the court ordered in the final decree. If the alimony ordered was not modifiable (either duration, amount or both), you cannot go back to court to change it.

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.


Your divorce decree is the best place to start. Does it say Modifiable alimony? Lifetime alimony? Alimony for x years or for x amount? Your next best place would be to file a Motion to Modify alimony. The court's threshold for modification is however "substantial change in circumstances" (for your income or hers).

Good luck!

This answer is not intended or offered as legal advice, and thus the reader should not rely on any information provided in this answer as such. Readers should not consider the information provided to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and should always seek the advice of an independent attorney. People seeking specific legal advice or assistance should contact an attorney. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Khan Legal Group, LLC at the e-mail address set forth in this web site will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. The content of this answer contains general information and may or may not reflect the current legal developments of Connecticut law. Attorney Khan is not licensed to practice law in any state but Connecticut.