To try and keep this as succint as possible:
1. Hired a firm to do my taxes (I WAS filing late).
2. CPA (or someone on his team) e-mailed me final returns, asked me to sign and return the signature page.
3. Printed these and sent to IRS.
4. IRS rejected returns due to both lack of original signature and missing attachments/statements; sent the returns back to me.
5. Asked the CPA what happened, said that they were aware of the original signature requirement, but the IRS does not normally enforce this rule.
6. Compared the returns sent back to the returns sent to me for signature - several pages/attachments were missing;i.e., for whatever reason, accidental or deliberate, they didn't send the entire return as I'd signed it.
Can I go after him for damages?