Skip to main content

Can I get the transcripts and recordings of my case since it is closed? How can I find out if there was any money left over?

Etna, OH |

I had 3 appeals from my divorce proceedings. I had to pay $1480 (200 pages) for my first set of transcripts and $300 for more pages. When it went to the appeals court it was remanded back to the trial court each time and nothing changed. I could have gone back to the appeals court 100 times and the appeals court could have told trial court they needed to do what they failed to do and nothing would have changed but I would have been poorer. Since I paid for the transcripts and the case is closed, can I get these transcripts? Also, can I get a copy of a recording in court? The magistrate told me he wasn't going through my evidence and he had his mind made up on what was going to happen (absolute bias) I want to see if that's on tape. Also, how can I find out how the money was spent?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A Court transcriptionist / Court Reporter charges a fee to transcribe each page. That's where your costs went--and they were billed after the fact, so there isn't "Money Left" from the costs of transcription. If you request it of the Court in a timely fashion, and the records are preserved, you can request a copy of the videotaping of a divorce, as divorce cases are public record. As far as the transcripts, they are also ublic record---though you may have to pay a minimal per charge fee to have the Court copy them from the original documents, which remain the property of the Court. Good Luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer