Skip to main content

Can i get the L1B visa extension staying in US only?

Charlotte, NC |

M y husband is on L1 B visa and am on L2 dep visa.We have our visa valid till Feb 2011.
We are planning to have a baby here and my due date will be in the month of feb 2010.
Is it legal to stay here after the valid date?And what is the way we can look at?
In such a condition,is there any legal procedure which works out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is where it is confusing for most people - the difference between a visa and status. A visa allows you to board a plane to come at the gate (port of entry) of the US where an immigration officer will give you a status to enter (usually the I-94). Once you are in the US, the status controls even if the visa is expired. However, once you travel you need the visa again. In your case, if you already have status you should be fine. However, we need more facts to answer if you can extend the visa. If the employer is willing to extend (plus you have the number of years left), you can of course extend. I will advise you to talk to a good immigration lawyer at least for a consultation before you do anything.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer or a fee agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.