Skip to main content

Can I get the green card through the F1 visa??

Cleveland, OH |

I am going to study in USA next year with a student visa "F1".
I am wondering if I can apply for a green card ,and what are my chances to have the green card??? can a lawyer help me with that "I mean make my chance is certain "??

if I did this step will the USCIS finish my F1 visa and deport me???

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, a student visa does not lead to a green card and if the consult knew of your desire he/she will pull your visa.


No, you can not convert a student visa to a greencard. But, if you are a good student and get good grades, after you get your BA/BS you will get a 1 year work permit. If you are lucky enough to find a good job, your employer can sponsor you for a greencard.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer