Can I get sued if my insurance only covers $15k and the perosn i crashed into wants $12k but my insurance only wants to pay $3k

Torrance, CA |

I was in a car accident about 4 months ago, i was backing up from my parking space and i hit a car on the rear passenger side door.It was stoped behind me and i didnt see it. my insurance covers $10k for the car which covered it. and it coveres up to $15k for each person injured the driver supposably had back pain and had to get injections in her spin and bill is over $25k they agreed to walk away with the $15k and th passenger wanted $13k but my insurance said they agree to only pay the passenger $4k. know they are trying to sue me because my insurance doesnt want to pay. But they threaten to sue me for over $250k i am 19 years i got to college and have a minimum paying job. what can i do. please someone give me good advice. thank you

Your statement is a bit confusing. At first you say your insurance covers 15K, they want 12k, but now for some reason your insurance will only pay 3k. By the accounts you give above you are at fault therefore you would likely be held liable for any damages over what your insurance company will pay out. This situation seems somewhat confusing however in what your entitled pay out might be vs what they are seeking vs what your company will pay. For this reason I suggest you contact a local attorney to ensure you are represented to the best of your interests. As you are so young, this could financially cost you must more than attorney fees if you receive a poor outcome.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

My insurance thinks they only deserve $3k not $12k so they say they will refuse all offers and sue me for everything and more!

You could but, if you do, your insurance company will assign you an attorney to represent you.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Is There a big chance I Can loose??

If they want to sue you then turn it over to your insurance company, they will provide you with an attorney. Remember, your insurance company has a duty of good faith to settle the claims within your policy limits.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Is There a big chance I Can loose??

Regardless your insurance company will provide you an attorney which will defend the claim on your behalf.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Is there a big chance I can loose???

I know this must be very scary for you, and that is understandable, but it sounds like you are in the very early stages of a settlement negotiation. You should not be freaked out as you hear numbers thrown around. Your insurance company is trying to negotiate the smallest settlement it can pay. The lawyers on the other side are trying to negotiate the highest settlement they can get. As my colleague said, the insurance company must negotiate its settlement in good faith and must retain a lawyer to represent you.

Given what you say, your insurance company might be required to pay up to 15k per person and that would be covered. Anything more than that would be your responsibility. So yes, you could be sued for $250k if the negotiations fail. But your insurance company cannot arbitrarily refuse to pay, and would be forced to pay up to the policy limits should you be sued and a favorable verdict given to the injured people.

Your statement of what is going on here sounds a bit confusing, but that probably comes from panic. You might want to clarify with your insurance company and/or the attorney it hired for you if it has hired one yet, exactly what is going on.

Given the amounts of money involved, you might want to consult with a different attorney (not the insurance company's) who can help you understand the situation and protect your rights. If you do, find an attorney experienced in handling the defense of car accidents.

In the meanwhile, take a deep breath. Slow down, look both ways, and when you can afford it, buy a higher insurance policy for the future.

This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting on your legal rights based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Your carrier has a duty to settle the claims within policy limits if possible. If there is a demand within policy limits and the carrier fails to pay it the carrier will probably be on the hook for any judgment over and above the policy limits. I would not be worried if the injured parties have already agreed to settle within policy limits.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

If the facts are such that a person will likely be held liable for causing an accident, and the injuries claimed (as supported by medical evidence) present an exposure to the person for an amount of money that is higher than his/her insurance coverage, then that person's insurance company has a duty to settle the claim, if it can, for an amount that is less than and/or up to the policy limits. It can not settle for a lesser amount simply because it wants to save money. To do so, can be found to be "bad faith" on the part of the insurance company and if you are later held liable with a verdict in excess of your policy limits, it is possible to seek to hold the insurance company responsible to pay that portion of the verdict which is above the policy limits. Consult with a private attorney to see if there is a legitimate basis to send the carrier a "bad faith letter", so as to protect your interests. However, as pointed out, if the claims are not settled and a lawsuit is brought against you, your insurance company has to assign, and pay for, an attorney to defend you in that action.

Turn the papers over to your insurance company, and they will provide a lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

In general, a coverage amount is the limit one's insurance company will pay out on a claim. Once the limit is reached, and only then, is the client possibly liable for the rest. An insurance company is not supposed to just arbitrarily decide the limit and deem its liability below the policy amount. Such an action would defeat the purpose of insurance. Heck, such an action would be bad and a breach of trust... maybe even... "BAD FAITH." If an insurance company does not honor its agreement with its insured, and throws its own insured under the liability bus, such an action would be considered "bad faith," and an action for "bad faith" could be brought against that insurer. However, such would only be done after the insurance company fails to honor its obligations.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

If they sue you , turn the case to your insurance cojmpany to take care of it. Do not sweat it. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de accidentes y lesiones is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Your insurance will defend the case. If the case is worth your $15k they will eventually offer it to the other person who will accept because you are not able to pay anything more. If your insurance company improperly refuses(ed) to pay your policy then they will be on the hook for anything over your policy