Can I get retroactive child support if my ex has been paying me child support checks of court ordered amount but it is not 20%?

Lostant, IL |

Divorced in 2002 in IL, divorce papers say payment of $100 wk based on $500 mo. income. He will not provide me with his yearly income and child support has not been modified previously. I know he is not paying me 20% but haven't went to court due to trying to keep peace and our son out of it. He has threatening to sue me for custody if I go to court for more support. My son is now 16 and does not want to live with my ex and change high schools.

No you cannot get retroactive child support. You can take him to court to pay any arrearages. The arrears would be any amounts less than the court ordered amount of $100.00 per week. If he is current you cannot take him to court for retroactive increases. You can only ask for increases prospectively .

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

You can only get retroactive child support back to the date that your petition for modification of support is served upon your ex. If you knew you were not receiving the correct amount, you should not have excepted it 10 years ago.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

What if I now believe he lied about the initial amount he said he was making in 2002 to the lawyer? I do not have proof of what he was making at the time as we were separated for quite awhile before we filed. In addition, he has never provided me with proof of income when I have asked.

Can he be made to provide the proof of income now?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Yes, he can be made to provide proof of his current income.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You should have had a lawyer then and you should have a lawyer now. You are doing yourself no service.

Actually what I did then was try to be a good mother who did not want to make things difficult for her son. I tried to be the bigger person so my son could learn that divorced parents do not always have to fight with each other. Because I did not want to constantly go back and forth to court against my ex fighting over money, my ex and I have gotten along the best we could to show my son that he is loved by both parents. I have seen too many divorced parents constantly fighting and it has a huge impact on the children. Both my ex and I are remarried. Unfortunately my husband now has some serious health issues and money is now an issue for us. I am going to go to a lawyer now to increase child support so that I can continue to provide my son with what he needs. I was hoping to get some of the back support not to be vindictive but to be able to pay my lawyer fees. So yes, I may have sacrificed child support income over the years but I believe what I gave to my son was ultimately more important.

The general answer is no. Retroactive child support can be ordered back to the date of filing requesting a modification. If he has not been ordered to provide you with income information on a yearly or other basis, he has no obligation to do so.
You should seek out the services of a family law attorney in your area.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

It is actually the date of serving notice not filing.

Roger William Stelk

Roger William Stelk

Right. Assumption being notice is given upon filing.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Ok that is true with the new electronic filing. But again the statute no longer reads filing but notice.