Skip to main content

Can I get refund?

Calhoun, GA |

My lawyer will not return my calls and is dragging things out. Every time I call her she says she'll call back but doesn't. I paid her a retainer of $2,000 . Can I get any of it back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You haven't told us what your written fee agreement says, how many hours of work were done, if you have a balance you owe, what type of case you have, or why you think the case is being "drug out." So there's unfortunately no way to answer you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


It appears the primary issue is communication. A lawyer has to maintain reasonable communications with a client. If you are unhappy with your lawyer's representation, schedule an initial consultation with another attorney. That attorney should be able to tell you if your attorney is truly dragging out matters and if you are entitled to a full or partial refund.

Many times, its the courts who delay matters because of case overload and budget cuts. Nevertheless, regardless of the reason for the delay, if your attorney is not communicating with you, another attorney may put your mind at ease.


A refund depends on the nature of your relationship, the fee agreement, how much work has to be done as well as other factors not listed in your question. The ideal nature of working with a lawyer is dictated by clear communication and understanding what the goals of the representation are. Your question is not clear in that regard.

The answer to this question does not constitute legal advice nor does create a client relationship with the attorney answering this question. For more specific advice regarding your situation, please consult your lawyer.