Can I get out of paying these college fees if the college is phony?

Salem, VA |

I recently attended Everest online. I took out some loans (against my better judgement). At about week 2 I realized the work was way too easy to be legit. I could literally wait until the day my assignments were due and to complete them in one sitting! I started investigating and they're under a lot of hot water right now. I just went ahead and finished my term and told them I would no longer be attending. I got a bill a few months later is there a way i can get out of paying for this sham? I feel like I should be taking them to court!

You may want to Google the identity of some of the attorneys who are currently handling claims against your school, and consult with one or more of those attorneys about the strength of your potential claim.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

There are a couple of people suing Everest. You could join one of those suits. Just ignoring them is a tough way to go, because student loan vendors are afforded a lot of protection and an easier route to garnishment than normal creditors.

MY colleagues have provided you sound advice. Do not just ignore the debt and expect that it will go away. Be proactive and take care of it.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con