Skip to main content

Can I get out of a moving violation where the wrong law was cited?

Somerville, MA |

I was given a ticket for making a left turn where it a sign indicated it was prohibited. However the officer gave a ticket for M.G.L. c. 90, § 14 (Turning Improperly) Is it worth contesting on the basis of the wrong law being cited (Should have been 720 CMR 9.06(23))?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes call us I can refer you a great MA traffic court lawyer. 1-877-996-6849.


Yes. You should request a Clerk Magistrate Hearing and fight the ticket. Please give me a call if you are interested in hiring an Attorney.

Ian Keefe, Esq.


Don't be so sure. c. 90 §14 covers several types of improper turns and applies to all public ways.
720 C.M.R. 9.06 however only applies to state highways. Where were you driving? Was it a state highway or a regular city street or town road? The ticket, if first offense, is only a $35 civil penalty. Unless you have a bunch already and are at risk of a suspension for habitual traffic offender, or six surchargeable events, there really is not much economic sense in hiring a lawyer to fight this.

Attorney Mike Tremblay 508-485-4500

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer