Skip to main content

Can i get off of probation if i pay restitution

Knoxville, TN |
Attorney answers 3


There is no way to answer you yes or no without knowing what your sentence was. It most jurisdictions once restitution and court costs are paid then you go on an unsupervised status. You are still on probation for 11/29 but you don't have to report. With that being said, there is no way to fully answer your question.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."


I agree with Mr. Hodges. I would also like to point out that payment of restitution is probably a condition of your probation, meaning that if the restitution is not paid during the period of your probation then your probation may be extended until it is paid off. As such I would recommend that you pay off the restitution as soon as you are able.

The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship and is provided merely as a general answer to a general question. You should additionally seek the services of an experienced attorney for further help dealing with your specific case.


Without more information regarding the specific terms of your probation, your question cannot be accurately answered. In general, there is more to probation than just being required to pay restitution. If probation were to terminate upon the accomplishment of a specific task (such as paying off restitution), it is likely in your Judgment Order and I encourage you to refer to that document.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My answers are intended for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf without a written retainer agreement. I am licensed only in Tennessee. Therefore, if you are outside the state of Tennessee, it is recommended that you consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.