Skip to main content

Can I get my summer visitation schedule extended with my son?

Flushing, NY |

My son lives with his mother in Connecticut, and I live in New York. We have a visitation in place where I get him every other weekend, for a few hours during the holidays, alternating winter and spring breaks, and three weeks in the summer. She is now taking me back to court and trying to reduce my summer vacation time to two weeks! I actually just discovered it would be possible to have him anywhere from 4-6 weeks during the summer especially because I live far away, and don't have him that much during the school year which the extra time would equal the parenting time. I was told I could have a consecutive four weeks or split it up in two sessions where I can have him two separate times for 2-3 weeks long. Is this true? Her lawyers are telling me that a judge wouldn't grant this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


More facts would be necessary to make a determination. The more time you receive, the less time is available for the mother. Camp may also be an issue. You should speak to a lawyer in the state where the matter will be pending to discuss options. Good luck n

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Consult with a lawyer in CT where the child is residing and where custody and visitation cases will be heard. You can find an lawyer through AVVO find a lawyer tab.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


It is possible that you can get the summer vacation extended by the court, and certainly you can always have it extended by agreement. Whether the court would grant your request if the mother disagrees depends upon a number of individual factors including whether the current arrangement was initiated by agreement or by court order. I suggest you have a confidential consultation with an attorney to review all your options, and perhaps the attorney can negotiate more effectively on your behalf than if you attempt it yourself. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer