Skip to main content

Can I get my rehabilitative alimony extended due to the fact my income has changed since divorce

Brick, NJ |

I was married 12yrs and was awarded rehabilitative alimony with the assumption i was getting into nursing school. I did not know there was a waiting list... and not getting grants and financial aid... Since the divorce my job did major cuts ...lay offs like crazy... My hours were cut from full time 40 hrs hours a week to if im lucky 20 hrs a week and have been going crazy finding work... I am barely putting food on the table for my 2 kids....'

Can I ask for an extension on the alimony because of my financial circumstances

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Alimony Employment
Attorney answers 3


You should ask this question of the lawyer that represented you during your divorce.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


You need to be able to show that there was a plan for you to become economically self sufficient and that you followed it, however through no fault of your own, you couldn't achieve that self sufficiency.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed


Your question will turn on many factors: whether you agreed to alimony in a property settlement agreement or received it by a trial decision and what happened to your employment and your recent efforts, to name a few.

You should consult with an attorney immediately to protect your rights.

To better assist, below are links to information that will help you.

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.